Sun Protection Policy
At Heavitree Community pre-school we are aware of the importance of sun protection and want all staff and children to enjoy the sun safely. We aim to work closely with staff and parents to achieve this.
- The need for sun protection is discussed interactively with the children
- Parents and carers are informed of the importance of sun protection through newsletters
- Heatwave guidance is shared with all staff and acted on appropriately
- Sun protection is considered when planning all outside activities from April to October.
- There is a play house and role play shed where children can play out of the sun.
- We have a roofed area in the back play area.
- Heavitree Community preschool has its own supplyof sun hats which the children must wear if playing outside in sunny conditions.
- All Parents are asked to apply sun cream on their children before attending pre-school whenever the forecast is sunny.
- Heavitree Community pre-school has its own sun cream of factor 30 or above, which is applied at lunch time reapplied if necessary. Parents are asked to make a small donation to contribute to the cost.
- If a child has an allergy or parents wish for us to use their own brand of cream this will be accommodated.
- If a parent does not wish for us to apply cream to a child for any reason such as their skin type a disclosure letter will be required. Heavitree Community Preschool has the right to contact the parent and ask them to collect their child if staff feel the child is at risk from burning.
- Parents’ permission is requested for staff to apply sun cream. Permission is also sought to use our own sun cream on a child.