Heavitree Community Preschool
We meet the Safeguarding and Welfare Requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage, ensuring that our staff and volunteers are appropriately qualified, and we carry out checks for criminal and other records through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) in accordance with statutory requirements.
Vetting and staff selection
- We work towards offering equality of opportunity by using non-discriminatory procedures for staff recruitment and selection.
- All staff have job descriptions, which set out their roles and responsibilities.
- We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Applicants will be considered on the basis of their suitability for the post, regardless of disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, sex, age, marriage or civil partnership. Applicants will not be placed at a disadvantage by imposing conditions or requirements that are not justifiable.
- We follow the requirements of Ofsted on checking the suitability of all staff and volunteers who will have unsupervised access to children. This includes obtaining references and ensuring they have a satisfactory enhanced criminal records check through the DBS.
- Where an individual is subscribed to the DBS Update Service, we will carry out a status check of their DBS certificate, after checking their identity and viewing their original enhanced DBS certificate to ensure that it does not reveal any information that would affect their suitability for the post.
- We keep all records relating to the employment of our staff and volunteers; demonstrating that suitability checks have been done, including the date of issue, name, unique reference number from the DBS certificate, along with details of our suitability decision.
- Staff are expected to disclose any convictions, cautions, court orders, reprimands and warnings which may affect their suitability to work with children – whether received before, or at any time during, their employment.
- Where we become aware of any relevant information which may lead to the disqualification of an employee, we will take appropriate action to ensure the safety of children. In the event of disqualification, that person’s employment will be terminated.
- We inform Ofsted of any changes to our Registered Person, Manager and Playleader.
Training and staff development
- Our manager holds Early Years Professional Status and Playleader holds Early Years Teacher Status. And at least half of our other staff members hold the CACHE Level 3 Certificate for the Children and Young People’s Workforce or an equivalent or higher qualification.
- We provide regular training to all staff - whether internal, online or external training.
- We provide staff with induction training in the first week of their employment. This induction includes our Health and Safety Policy, Confidentiality and Safeguarding Policies. Other policies and procedures are introduced.
- We support staff by holding regular supervision meetings and appraisals.
- We are committed to recruiting, appointing and employing staff in accordance with all relevant legislation and best practice.
Staff taking medication/other substances
- If a member of staff is taking medication which may affect their ability to care for children, we ensure that they seek further medical advice. Our staff will not work directly with the children if medical advice confirms that the medication is likely to impair their ability to look after children properly.
- Staff medication on the premises will be stored securely and kept out of reach of the children at all times.
- If we have reason to believe that a member of staff is under the influence of alcohol or any other substance that may affect their ability to care for children, they will not be allowed to work directly with the children and further action will be taken.
Managing staff absences and contingency plans for emergencies
- Staff take their holiday breaks when the setting is closed. Where a staff member may need to take time off for any reason other than sick leave or training, this is agreed with our manager with sufficient notice.
- Sick leave is monitored, and action is taken where necessary, in accordance with the individual’s contract of employment.